Saturday, September 13, 2008

I can't decide if...

watching Lifetime movies on a Saturday night is considered lame.  But, then I realized I'm tired and the couch seemed like the only desirable spot.  

The movie is a biography on Coco Chanel.  I have always been intriqued by the woman I share initials with.  But, after being halfway through the film I have
 come to the discovery her and I share more than two simple letters.  Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel was a French woman, who chased her career and intuition.  She believed,  "Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only.  Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening."  She wasn't afraid to go against societal fashion norms and her ideas will forever impact the way we dress.  
Her personal life was just as unconventional.  She refused a marriage proposal because she did not wish to be dependent on anyone.  I can relate to her feelings on the topic.  I doubt I would take it to that extreme, but I definitely have the personality that cannot be tied down.  Who wants to answer to others all the time?  Maybe maturity will set in for me one day in this department.  But, then again maybe it won't and it will be okay, but different.  It seems like society has a timeline for all of us.  A timeline with 
expectations that are pressuring and intimidating.  As a young woman I feel I am expected to go to school, graduate on time, get a job, marry a guy, have some kiddos, make a good living, and be grateful for this life and the things I accomplished.  It is so disgusting to me that I can't take my time, enjoy my life, and choose my own path without displeasing others.  I guess what I really need to do is not care about other people's opinions.  That would make me just a little more like the legendary Coco Chanel.  

"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different." - Coco Chanel

No comments: