Sunday, July 4, 2010

No Impact Man

I just finishing watching No Impact Man and I am ready to give up electricity and toilet paper. Well... maybe not, but I did get some great ideas to apply to my life like further reduction of my plastic use and homemade cleaning products.

I started reading Colin's blog and I'll probably get around to reading his book soon too. But, I thought this post he wrote on March 10, 2010 was beautiful, inspiring, optimistic, and true. It seems fitting to post it on Independence Day- lets break-free.

Thoughts I come back to when thinking about environmentalism 2.0

1. Happier planet = happier people.
2. You make a difference.
3. Our culture is broken.
4. The personal is political.
5. Economic growth ≠ Life satisfaction growth.
6. Jobs are paramount but we should work to make our planetary home better not worse.
7. The concept of zero sum game is for people with zero sum brains.
8. There is a better, happier system out there.
9. If thine eyes (or thine economic system) offends thee, pluck them (or it) out.
10. It’s not about having less. It’s about having more. The question is: more of what?
11. There is dis-ease in our culture. People yearn for something better.
12. People are trustworthy and altruistic and good and will do the right thing if you let them.
13. This does not deny the fact that normal people act abnormally in abnormal situations.
14. Love and good company, the chance to be of service and to matter, connection to something bigger, the use of our most prized talents—these things make most people happier than stuff.
15. Being responsible for the world is not a burden. It is freedom from victimhood!
16. My happiness cannot be complete unless you are happy, too.

No comments: