Monday, December 28, 2009

Triple Axels at the Ashland Ice Rink

Prior to this weekend I have never been ice skating. When I heard Ashland had an outdoor rink in Lithia Park my eyes lit up!

When I first got to the rink I was so excited to see the handicapped children enjoying ice skating. It was so heart-warming to see them skating around the ice with their walkers and huge smiles on their faces. I was so touched I even took pictures of them. Then Chris informed me that those walkers were ice skating training tools and they were not disabled children. My idealized dream died, especially when this kid started ramming his sister with his walker causing her to fall.


Here we are- Joe, Bonnie, Chris and I! No one fell, technically, although the wall did run into Bonnie. :)

The boys were getting pretty daring with their "jumps." If that is what you can call lifting your skate 3 inches off the ground. Not quite a triple salchow or lutz, but mighty close!


After hitting the ice for an hour we were ready to warm up at a local pub with peppermint patties (hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps=the staple of my holiday diet) .

The Ashland ice rink is open daily through the winter. They even have night skating on the weekends. I had a fantastic time and I want to make it a yearly tradition!

No comments: