Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Grail

Continuing with my current love for wine reads, The Grail  by Brian Doyle was another satisfying tale.  In his book he sets out on discovering what a year at a Willamette Valley vineyard is like.  He selects the Lange Estate Winery & Vineyard who is owned by the Lange Family.  Doyle chronicles the chaotic and always creative effort of Jesse Lange, general manager and winemaker, in his attempt to make the best Pinot Noir on earth.  He does this by stringing together short essays that the natural history of the land and vineyard, the fussiness of the vines, the boom and recognition of the Dundee Hills around the world, the buying habits of tasting-room visitors, and the craft of winemaking.  I enjoyed reading this book and having Doyle be my tour guide through this operation.  There are small adjustments I would have made if I was the editor (namely, a typo towards the later half of the book) and a more smooth story.  

I do really like the book cover.  Wine stain.  I think I need to try photographing that.


I am always sad to finish a book because that means I have to go in search for another one.  This could take hours/days.  I was thinking about trying to overcome my fear of novels.  I have attempted to like novels in the past, but have never been successful.  I love non-fiction and novels are too much like a marathon.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Christine,
Glad you enjoyed The Grail. I can empathize with the difficulty of looking for another book to read. Lots of hours spent wandering the aisles of Powells.
You should make a trip up to Portland to Powells and of course stop by our winery for some R&R and pinot noir. Sadly the goats are gone, but Jesse might be around and he'd love to hear to enjoyed the book.