Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tomorrow is going to be a rough day

On Saturday my work got a call I hope no one ever has to experience.  It was one I am glad I didn't reach to answer.  A fun-loving, goofy, and amazing talent of a golfer, Ashley O'Sullivan, was killed in a tragic car accident.  I had worked with her that night closing up the golf shop and she was so excited to get off work and spend the night camping with her friends.  Driving back home her car plummeted into the river.  She was a baby.  Only 18.  I can't imagine what her family is going through.  I know her family well and I know this will kill a piece of them.  The thought of parents burying their own children is the most sickening thing.  

I have always been an obituary reader.  I love to read about people who led full and interesting lives- where they were born, went to school, their careers, family, travels and interests.  But, never in this case.  Ashley had her life ahead of her and it wasn't ready to be written out with a conclusion.  

Ashley was one of the most talented female golfers to come out of Salem.  She was named All-Region Player of the Year twice.  The night before she died we were talking about her aspirations of being a class A golf professional.  She would have been great teaching others.  She taught me a lot just watching her swing.

Tomorrow is the Memorial Service at Creekside Golf Club (where we worked and where her family are members).  It is going to be so hard to make it through.  These are the times when the saying 'Everything happens for a reason,' does not make sense.  Nothing makes sense.  I hope she is spending eternity on the golf course and playing her heart out.  I just wish she was back down here, so that we all could still be watching her.

Here is my favorite picture of her.  I think this truly wraps up the essence of her if you could bundle a life into a photograph. 

Rest in peace Ashley, you will be severely missed.  

5 comments:

Amazing Style said...

i am sorry for your loss. i have lost a friend very young too. life is too short and fragile and we should chesrish it every second

Anonymous said...

It's hard to lose someone like her. She was an all around good person, and it was impossible to not like her. Everyday she is in my head, and i can't help but to think of her. This is the hardest thing i have and ever will go through. Rest in Peace Ashley, We all miss you.

Money Money said...

That memorial was the worst thing i have ever been to. The hardest part for me was when her father, Don, spoke. Right then is when the tears started coming, and i realized what is actually happening. At first it didn't sink in that Ashley was gone. It just didn't make sense. But now i know, and i am missing her terribly. My heart goes out to her family and i hope they can get through this as quickly as possible. Love ya Ashley

R.I.P. AAO said...

Every day i keep thinking this will get easier, that i can look back and smile instead of cry. But it hasn't yet. This is the worst thing i have ever been through and i hate every second of it. It's still impossible to grasp the fact that i'll never see this fun loving goofy girl ever again. It hurts, but we all have to deal with it. Ashley you are missed so much, and loved. Keep watch over those who need it, and i hope to see you again someday. Love you

Anonymous said...

ashley your not forgotten i saw where your tragic accident happened today when i went to north fork and the blue cross by the road is memorable for all to see. elkhorn valley is my favorite camp site long before and to this day nobody forgets.