Thursday, April 30, 2009

I just so happen to be a documentary film lover


Today in my Technology and Innovation class we watched the film Who Killed the Electric Car?  Although the title didn't sound like anything I would be interested in, my love of documentaries still fostered my curiosity.  This film, narrated by Martin Sheen takes a look at who is to blame for the disappearance of electric cars on American roads.  It specifically looks at the example of GM's EV1 model.  This car came out in the mid-nineties as a reaction to the now removed California mandate to reduce emissions.  The car produces no emissions and although it takes electricity to run it, is a very clean, maintenance free, and recyclable car.  Mysteriously this car vanished from production and GM did a very nice job covering any tracks that may have been left.  The film goes in depth on who to blame- consumers, batteries, oil companies, car manufacturer's, politicans and the California Air Resource Board.  It does so in a very interesting, entertaining, and ironic way, (Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 89% rating and it won two film awards) so don't worry you "not so into documentary" types, you will like it too.  Mel Gibson and Tom Hanks make funny cameo appearances as well.

I am a huge proponent of friendlier living- to the environment and to people.  Just watching this movie was eye-opening and I wanted to share it with anyone who would read this.  I found that Netflix's has copies to watch and there are downloadable versions I have found on the internet.  

No comments: